Understanding Help Wanted public page
Learn how to use the help wanted page to minimize your time. Allowing the volunteer to sign up for short-handed shifts!
Understanding Offers Inbox
View the volunteer signups from the help wanted page and assign if necessary. Easy as clicking a button!
Sending a mass email out to all my volunteers
Learn how to gather all my volunteers emails and send them a message from my email client.
Ways volunteers can help you with scheduling
Fill an opening through the "Public Help Wanted Page" or cancel their shift through a cancellation link in reminders
Managing scheduled reminders
Send scheduled reminders by email or text to a group of volunteers to remind them of their upcoming job assignments!
Managing contact subscriptions
Easily View and manage who is subscribed to a scheduled reminders.
Using SMS reminders
Learn how to send and manage SMS reminders
Using contact tags for volunteers
Learn how to use tags to group or categorize your contacts. Tag them as a subsitute or a college student.
Q: What's in the Volunteer Portal? What can volunteers do?
- See their own scheduled assignments
- Sign themselves up to fill short-handed shifts
- Cancel an upcoming commitment
- Update personal account (phone, email, address, reminder subscriptions ..)
See your volunteer's experience by taking the tour
Q: How will volunteers find out about the volunteer portal?
- When a volunteer try to sign up for a job on the "Help Wanted" page (formerly the Available Shifts page), they will see an option to “Sign in to Volunteer Portal”. Those who don’t already have an account on the portal are invited to set up a new account right then.
- Volunteers may also learn about the portal from you or other volunteers. For those interested in setting up an account on the volunteer portal, you can help them one of two ways:
- Show them how to get a new account themselves: go to https://
.mowscheduler.com , click on "Register for Volunteer Portal" and follow instructions.
- Open a new account for them - go to the person's contact page and click on the "+" sign next to "User Account". Their “User Type” is already set as “Worker”. Don’t change that unless the person is more than a volunteer. See Question 4 below. View a tutorial here on adding new portal user account.
- Show them how to get a new account themselves: go to https://
Q: How will lost/forgotten passwords be handled?
- They can click on "forgotten password" at the log-in page http://<yoursite>.mowscheduler.com/ and follow instructions to reset their password. The process is automatic.
- They can also ask you to reset it for them. To reset password for a volunteer, go to the volunteer's contact page, click on the contact's user name and then on the “User Account" page click "send forgot password email".
Q: Some of my volunteers also help coordinate/schedule of other volunteers? Do they need to get two accounts, one like mine and the other on the volunteer portal?
- Most volunteers should be "Worker" who just need to see and manage their own schedules/commitments. Some volunteers may also be coordinating schedules of certain routes. Those volunteers should be given the user type of “Coordinator”.
- Most of staff will be either "Coordinator" who schedule assignments for volunteers, or "System Administrator" who are given the additional ability to manage user accounts and set/modify certain system configurations. Only a staff member can be given the "System Administrator" user account type.
Q: Can I “screen” job opening sign-ups for certain volunteers?
View the offers inbox tutorial
Q: Is the Auto-Approve feature only for Volunteer Portal users?
Q: Can the volunteers view my shift notes?
Q: How do I get volunteers started?
- Send them an email
Q: I'd like to be able to see which slots on the schedule are filled by trainees. How can I do that?
Define a “Trainee” tag under the Admin/Lists/Tags section and give it a “display color” (let's say purple). Add the “Trainee” tag to the applicable volunteers' Contact profiles. Now you'll see the purple tag next to that person's name any time they appear on the schedule. When the training is complete, remove the tag from the Contact profile.
Q: How can I export a list of volunteers?
On the menu go to contacts/volunteers and find the "export to spreadsheet" link on the upper right hand side, wait for the message of "download export here" to show up at the top, and click on that.
Q: Where can I add an emergency contact for a volunteer?
This is easiest to show with an example: Let's say I want to add Mary Doe as an emergency contact for volunteer John Doe...
- Go to John Doe's volunteer profile. Hint: use "quick search" at top of any page
- Open the "Relationships" tab (bottom left side of profile page).
- Choose Mary Doe if she's already in the system. Or, add her as a new contact with contact type "other" (or leave it blank), and don't forget to add her email and/or phone number!
- Choose Relationship "Emergency Contact".
- Choose John Doe as the 2nd contact. Since we're on John's profile page, he'll be listed first on the contact pick list.
Now you'll see this relationship on the list: Mary Doe is the Emergency Contact of John Doe.
Q: How do I know when a volunteer started volunteering with us?
We have a field for that, “Service Date”, in the volunteer's profile. You can search for volunteers by service date under the Contacts→View Volunteers page; Click on the More Filters button and choose Date Options "Service Date" and specify "Date from" (since) and/or "Date to" (until).
Q: Where can I add extra information about a volunteer? examples: gender, student, retired, etc.
If you want this info to be searchable, then add the attributes of interest as "contact tags". First create the new tags under Admin→List/Tags. Click on the contact tags link. Add new tags, e.g. "male", "female", "student", "retired". Now under any volunteer's profile, you will see the heading "Tags", click on the edit icon on the right to add/remove tags.
Use the Tags filter on the Contacts→View Volunteers page to find matching volunteers.
Q: A volunteer is going to be out of town for several weeks, what's the best way to cancel all their shifts?
Use the “time off” feature under the Job Schedule section on the right side of the Contact detail page
Q: I want to send out an email to all volunteers, how do I get their emails easily?
You can get all the emails from the Contacts→View Volunteers page. Use the filters to narrow down the volunteers you want to email, and then on the right-hand side click on the "Copy emails to clipboard" link. "Select All", then right-click "Copy" (or ctrl-C) to copy the list to your clipboard, then paste it into your favorite email program. A common tactic is to specify only your own address on the To: line, and paste the recipient list into the Bcc: line so that the recipients can not see the entire distribution list. You must specify at least one recipient on the To: line.
Read this tutorial for more help.
Q: How can I get a list of volunteers who started volunteering in 2016?
Under Contacts→View Volunteers, click on the "More Filters" button. Choose "Service Date" from "Date Options" drop-down, and enter the range of dates.
Q: Not all my volunteers are receiving shift reminders. Why not?
A volunteer (or staff member) will receive a shift reminder by email if ALL the following are true: a) one of the scheduled email shift reminders is enabled in the Admin/Notification area, b) the contact has an email address in their contact profile, and c) the contact is “subscribed” to email shift reminders in their contact profile.
Q: Volunteer did not receive an email notification
Below are some of the most common reasons your volunteer might not be receiving the notification:
- First, be patient; sometimes it takes a few minutes for the email to arrive to the volunteer.
- Have them check their junk/spam email box; the notification might have been filtered as junk/spam.
- Check with your volunteer that the email address in your system is the correct one. Spelling is correct, it might be an old email address, or if they have multiple emails and they are checking the wrong one.
Q: How do I let my volunteers know about the Help Wanted page?
There are a couple different ways our customers are handling that right now:
- Post the link below to your website, Twitter, Facebook, etc.
- Send an email containing the link to volunteers. View tutorial here for sending a mass email out to all my volunteers.
Q: I have volunteers who drive every other week. Where/how do I put them in the system?
The "Custom" scheduling option you see in the the Ongoing Assignment "modal" is designed exactly for that. Insert the volunteer, choose "every 2 weeks", pick a start date, and save. It's that simple. The same Custom scheduling feature can also be used when several individuals or groups rotate on an every 3, 4 or 5-weeks schedule.